Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Depiction of Western Culture and White Characters

As much as I would like to reiterate the amount of confusion this book causes, I'll instead attempt to put together something at least a little significant. This is based on the prompt from class today regarding the way Reed chooses to depict Western culture and white characters:

It's certainly not a favorable view of western culture that Reed presents in writing Mumbo Jumbo. All of the main white characters (Biff Musclewhite, Thor, and Hinkle) are presented in a negative light--namely, as power-hungry, unreasonable, and largely intolerant. Biff, for example, is just the muscle behind everything; he's essentially a hired thug. Meanwhile, Hinkle is presented as smart but also power-hungry. He almost seems like a total maniac to me, given the way he's so determined to join the Wallflower Order in crushing Jes Grew. Even Thor, who at first seems like he is able to make decisions for himself eventually ends up being sympathetic to his companions.

On a side note, the names in this book are too ridiculous to ignore. I mean, Biff Musclewhite? If that's not an illusion to the fact that Biff is all brawn and no brain, then my name is Joe Shmuck. And what about Black Herman? Or Thor Wintergreen. I feel like these names are supposed to be allusions, and some of them I think I get, but others I'm not so sure. Once again, Reed is winking at me and sometimes I get it, but more often, I have no idea what he's trying to say.

1 comment:

Mitchell said...

"Black Herman" sure sounds like a symbolically laden name--and it can indeed function in the novel this way. But note that he is indeed a historical figure, a contemporary of Houdini who did the same kind of work (escapes, illusions, "magic"). Another good example of the pattern Reed has identified, where the white performer goes down in history while his black counterpart is all but forgotten. (Although Houdini as Doctorow depicts him is no Atonist!)

While you're noting symbolic names, don't forget "Safecracker" Gould (he's a "safe cracker"?).