Monday, February 13, 2012

Learning from Myth

In class today, I talked about how I felt like the story Papa LaBas tells was myth and seemed too oversimplified to apply to society as a whole. I'd like to expand on that here; first of all, I think it's certainly fair to call the narrative either fiction or myth (or both) because in my mind, they're almost the same. I just think of the two being different in that myth traditionally is passed through oral tradition and therefore varies a lot. I think of fiction as a less changing form of narrative. But in any case, I still stand by what I said in class; I don't think the conflict between Osiris and Set can explain society as a whole (which was the original question). I think that would be a gross oversimplification. However, I definitely think the dynamic between the two does tell us something significant. It's recognizable and brings the point home that there will always be people whose viewpoints about the world differ in such a way as to cause conflict regularly. Like Nikita was saying, we can apply that dynamic to recognize similar situations that we deal with all the time--any time we have a conflict, in fact.

No comments: